Best Questions to Ask at a Virtual Networking Event!
A networking event is a meeting that brings together people from the same or similar industries to discuss their careers.
Networking events are opportunities to meet new people and establish personal and professional connections. Asking questions at such events is a great way to build rapport and gather new information. You would have the chance to meet a variety of like-minded people within your industry.
By asking relevant questions, you can get valuable information during a virtual networking event. In this article, we will be exploring some of the best questions to ask if you find yourself at a loss of conversation at a virtual networking event. There are many types of networking events, but these questions should work at any networking event you attend.
Before we start, let us consider briefly some reasons why networking events are important.
Why are networking events important?
1. Relationship building:
Virtual networking events are a great way for you to establish new business contacts while in a professional setting.
2. Learning new information:
You have the opportunity to interact with colleagues in your field who will be very relaxed to share with you information about how they overcome challenges in their workplace. This could provide you new ideas.
3. Understanding the latest trends in the industry:
Industry leaders often attend virtual networking events where they share with colleagues the latest updates and developments in the industry.
4. Increasing morale for work:
Attending virtual networking events can boost your passion and motivation for work. Oftentimes, at the end of a professional event, you would feel a renewed sense of purpose and passion to confront new challenges at work when they present themselves.
5. Recruiting new employees:
Recruiters sometimes take advantage of networking events to meet and interview potential employees.
6. Socializing with colleagues in the industry:
After formal business interactions, companies usually hold informal or semi-formal events which feature all kinds of food and entertainment to allow colleagues to socialize in a more relaxed and casual atmosphere. As a participant, you have the opportunity to unwind while improving your professional network connections. Networking events can be in various forms and can feature different demographics.
Some virtual networking events could be:
- Job fairs where recruiters meet and interview potential employees
- College or university career events where the alumni recruit graduates from their former university or college
- Local events such as workshops
- College alumni events
- Community service organizations who come together for the purpose of raising funds or giving back to the community
- Professional conferences
- Club meetings
- Diversity groups meeting for the purpose of discussing the advancement of their section
Best virtual networking questions!
It is important to establish your primary goal for networking. You must have in mind what you want to achieve from your interactions. Your purpose will determine the kind of questions you would be asking.
Your questions could be related to education, job responsibilities, career, your industry, work, or miscellaneous topics such as questions on interests and hobbies.
The following are some of the best questions to ask at a virtual networking event:
- What do you do?
- How long have you been doing it?
- Do you like it?
- How did you get involved in it?
- What kind of projects are you working on right now?
- What do you love about your job?
- Do you enjoy doing activities outside of work?
- What kind of education/experience is required to get into the field?
- What do you think the most important skills needed to succeed in the field?
- Are there other networking groups or professional development activities you're involved in?
- What changes have you seen in your field in the past few years?
- What are the prospects of your field for the future?
- How long have you been with your company?
- What’s your company culture like?
- What makes your organization stand out amongst its competitors?
- Where is your organization headed in the next few years?
- What are the biggest challenges your organization is facing?
- What’s next for you in your career?
- How can I help you meet your goals?
- Would you like to keep in touch?
Asking questions is only a part of what is involved in networking successfully, following up is also important. Have a professional carriage during networking interactions -- listen attentively, give a genuine and welcoming smile, make eye contact to demonstrate your interest, share your own perspectives and ask follow-up questions.
However, don’t probe too much as this can feel like an interview and make your colleague uncomfortable. Make your conversation interesting and a learning and sharing experience.
Starting and maintaining a conversation while networking can be quite challenging, but with the help of these networking questions, it would soon come naturally. Learn how you can attend and even host a networking event on Remo! Learn more and start a guided tour today!