Internet access can be a little tricky in China because of its notorious filtering system, “The Great Firewall.” This makes video calling/conferencing much more difficult.
Our customers have found that they can use Remo by using a Virtual Private Network (VPN).
Here are six top VPNs that work for video calling in China:
Reliability in China:
Based in Hong Kong, 12VPN holds a reputation as a reliable VPN for users in China. But this VPN’s functionality isn’t limited to one country. It also has servers within China, which is rare, especially for a VPN of this size.
A global server network and reasonably fast speeds is what you can expect out of 12VPN. While there are no advanced features to speak of, this VPN supports a wide array of protocols, including OpenVPN, SSTP, IKEv2, Shadowsocks, and others.
12VPN seems to have strong experience serving China users. On their website you can find special sections with instructions and tips on using 12VPN in China. In addition to common payment methods such as credit cards and Paypal, 12VPN also accepts Alipay for payment, which should be convenient for VPN shoppers in China.
How to setup and use 12VPN in China:
12VPN is one of those VPNs that are easily installed on your device through the use of native applications and VPN clients. This greatly simplifies the installation process in stark contrast with those VPNs that use a generic OpenVPN client that then needs to be configured individually for the specific VPN make.
1. Head over to the official 12VPN website and download the VPN client for your specific OS. Double-click on the installer file to begin installation and you’ll see the screen below. Click on Next.
2. Click on Install to initiate installation. That is all you need to do- sit back and relax. The installation would complete itself in a couple of minutes.
3. Click on ‘Finish’ when it’s done and the installation would now be successful.
4. Open the application. On the main dashboard, which looks as in the screenshot below, you can see the server country selector drop-down menu. Choose the country of your choice and then select the encryption and VPN protocol you wish to use. Finally, click on ‘Connect’ to connect the VPN.
2. Express VPN
Reliability in China:
ExpressVPN has been listed as one of the best VPNs for China by many VPN reviewers. ExpressVPN’s main domain, expressvpn.com, is currently blocked in China, but you can access their website through some other domain names, for example, expressvpn.works.
Based on a test from China, it was confirmed that users can sign up ExpressVPN’s services from China and their VPN service can be used in China. In addition to standard payment methods such as credit card and Paypal, Express VPN also accepts Alipay and UnionPay, which is convenient for customers in China.
Currently ExpressVPN doesn’t support the Chinese language on their website or software.Basic English skill is needed to use ExpressVPN from China. However, for users who want to sign up ExpressVPN using the Chinese language, there’s a special Chinese landing page provided by ExpressVPN for doing so.
How to use ExpressVPN in China:
One of the best things about ExpressVPN is that there are no special steps required to connect in China. Just choose your preferred server as normal and you should be able to browse the web freely. However, the ExpressVPN website is currently blocked in China. As a result, we strongly recommend registering and installing the service before you travel to the country.
Because China monitors its citizens’ internet access so closely, there are a couple of steps we recommend taking before you connect for the first time. Here are the steps:
1, To begin with, we’re going to make sure ExpressVPN automatically connects your device to the VPN whenever it’s turned on. From the main page, click the menu icon (three lines) in the top-left, then choose Options.
2. Under the General tab, enable the first two options. This will ensure you never accidentally browse without protection. If you’re using a desktop version of the app, we also recommend enabling Stop all internet traffic if the VPN disconnects unexpectedly.
3. Next, move across to the Advanced tab and make sure the IPv6 leak protection and DNS options are checked. When you’re done, click OK.
4. Now you’re free to connect as you normally would. To do this, return to the home screen and click the large button in the middle. This will automatically connect you to the best server for your current location. You can also choose a specific country to connect to by clicking the Choose Location button, and picking one from the list on the right.
Reliability in China:
NordVPN is one of the few VPN services that works reliably in China. There are a couple of tricks it uses to evade detection: first, it doesn’t offer any servers in China itself. This means that NordVPN doesn’t have to comply with China’s complex data retention legislation and removes the risk of government interference with the service’s hardware.
How to use NordVPN in China:
The main NordVPN website is currently unavailable in China. Customer support can direct you to a working mirror site (which is just a copy of the main website, accessible from a different URL). It’s worth noting, however, that these can be taken offline at a moment’s notice, so the best course of action is to register and install NordVPN before you arrive in China. Here are the steps on how to connect to for the first time after installing the app:
1. iOS users can still use the service in China by manually setting up an IKEv2 connection but the easiest way to get connected on Windows, Linux, MacOS, and Android is to use an obfuscated server. To enable these, open your NordVPN app and click the Settings option in the top-left.
2. Next, scroll to the bottom of the list and click Show advanced settings. You’ll see a warning, but just click on the I know what I am doing button. Now, find Obfuscated Servers in the list and click the toggle button to enable them.
3. If you return to the app’s home screen, you should see an Obfuscated Servers option at the top of the list on the left-hand side. Clicking it will automatically connect you to the best server, but you can also choose one from a specific country by clicking on the three-dot icon to the right.
Once connected, you’re free to browse the internet as you normally would. If your chosen server doesn’t work, we’d recommend trying one in a different location. If you’re still having trouble, customer support should be able to help, either by specifying a server which still works, or providing instructions for configuring your device for using obfuscated servers.
4. HotSpot Shield
Reliability in China:
In VPN circles, Hotspot Shield is probably best known for its market-leading free version. But it’s clearly been putting in the hard yards to improve its premium version, too, and it has managed to get around all the blocking attempts in China. It offers excellent speed and the ability to unblock a handful of other region-locked sites.
How to use HotSpot Shield VPN in China:
Once you’ve downloaded and installed Hotspot Shield VPN on your device, all you need to do is open the app and turn it on. Follow the quick instructions below to learn how to use Hotspot Shield VPN.
1. Click the “Start” button to turn Hotspot Shield VPN on.
2. Once Hotspot Shield VPN is connected, choose from any VPN server location by clicking on the country name above the map, and to the right of “Server location.”
That’s it! It’s super easy to use Hotspot Shield VPN. Now, you can enjoy access to your favorite sites, apps, games, and more with enhanced privacy and security to keep you safe.
Reliability in China:
VyprVPN is a highly secure VPN that offers some of the best anonymity features around. It has over 700 servers globally, with plenty surrounding China, including Malaysia, Japan, and Vietnam.
You have reliable and fast speeds, with dynamic server switching to prevent any congested servers slowing you down. This feature quickly connects you to another in the cluster without any interruptions, so you have the same great speeds while you’re streaming, gaming, or video chatting with your friends.
How to use Vyprvpn in China:
In order to use VyprVPN in China, you should have it up and running on your device before traveling over there. The following are the steps you should take to enjoy a seamless experience when you download VyprVPN for use in China. Note that you should have already subscribed to a Premium plan which is the only plan with the Chameleon feature. Download VyprVPN and launch the app on your device to proceed. Here are the steps on how to connect to for the first time after installing the app:
1. Open the VyprVPN App
2. Login to VyprVPN using your registered email address and password.
3. Navigate to the top of the app and from the VyprVPN Menu, select preferences.
4. Locate the protocols tab, Turn on the Chameleon Protocol and close preferences
5. Connect using the fastest server or select server using the map symbol on the bottom right.Remember to turn on the kill switch button if you require the feature before connecting VyprVPN.
Reliability in China:
TunnelBear has a feature called GhostBear, which disguises your VPN traffic so that it looks like regular internet traffic.
The Chinese Firewall uses Deep Packet Inspection (DPI) to identify internet traffic and block certain forms of traffic. GhostBear uses a technology called Obfsproxy which changes your traffic signature in a number of ways to look like regular (non-VPN) traffic.
One of the great things about TunnelBear is its free app, and GhostBear is included! This means that you don’t have to pay to access content in China.
While GhostBear is a great technology for anyone traveling to China, it does make the connection a bit slower. So it is not recommended for people who want high speeds and are not in the high surveillance zone.
Users should also note that GhostBear is not available on iOS; however, it does work on Windows, Mac, and Android.
How to use TunnelBear VPN in China:
The first step to using TunnelBear is to make sure you download and install it BEFORE you land in China.
(If you happen to be in China already without a VPN, you should read this article that will help you out.)
If you run into trouble while you’re in China, you can email TunnelBear at email@example.com and they will help you out. They generally reply within a couple of hours.
Once it’s installed, here is how you can use their VPN to secure your connection. We did this on our Android phone, but it works the same for your Windows or Mac computer.
1. Open the TunnelBear app
2. Select a server outside of China. For Facebook, Gmail, and other simple websites we suggest the Hong Kong server, since its close proximity will improve speed.
3. Click on the hamburger icon on the top left. It will take you to settings. Click on
4. Click on GhostBear. It will take you to another page where there will be a toggle switch for Use GhostBear. Toggle it on.
5. It will take just a few seconds and you’ll be connected to the Hong Kong server. There will be a tunnel on the screen with a bear head popping through it. This means you’re connected and are secure.
The entire process is very simple and takes just a few seconds. If for some reason, you’re unable to connect to TunnelBear Ghostbear, you can email their customer support and they’ll quickly reply.